Goal Setting Tips and Guidelines
Goals are specific. Remember, “Hazy goals get hazy results.”
- Effective goals are broken down into measurable steps such as
- "Each day I will identify three positive things about my work” or
- “I will conduct two informational interviews every month.”
- Goals are aligned with your values.
- Goals are realistic and reasonably attainable.
- Goals are designed within a realistic time frame with specific deadlines.
- Goals are flexible; they can be altered as change or new awareness occurs and as new information is received.
- A written goal has a greater chance of being accomplished; when a goal is written down it seems real.
- Evaluate whether you achieve your goals. If you set goals that are measurable then you have criteria with which to evaluate them.
- Plan for both short-term and long-term goals.
- Celebrate achieving your goals!
UC Davis Career Management Toolkit
Building a talented workforce through a culture of learning, discovery and engagement