The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) gives UC employees and their covered family members the right to temporarily continue their UC-sponsored group health coverage in certain situations (known as “qualifying events”) that would ordinarily cause the individual to lose group health coverage.
The UC has contracted with WageWorks, a third-party vendor, to provide COBRA administration for the UC.
If you are terminating employment:
- After your department processes your termination of employment action in the payroll system, you will receive a COBRA application packet from WageWorks at your home address.
- The COBRA application packet will contain information about your medical, dental, vision, health FSA, Staywell and/or EAP continuation options.
If you are continuing employment but are losing eligibility:
- At the time your department processes (subject to Personnel Policies and timeline) your status change action in the UC Path payroll system, your department must complete and send to UC Path the Notice of Employee COBRA Qualifying Event form (See UC Path Forms Library). Upon receipt, the UC Path Center will notify WageWorks to issue a COBRA application packet to your home address.
- The COBRA application packet will contain information about your medical, dental, vision, and/or EAP continuation options.
If your family member loses eligibility, you must submit a Life Event form and a Notice to UC of a COBRA event form (See UC Path Forms Library) to the UC Path Center within 31 days.
- The Life Event form is completed to de-enroll the family member from your insurance plans. The Notice to UC of a COBRA Event notifies UC that a qualifying event has occurred and where to send the COBRA application packet. Upon receipt, the UC Path Center will notify WageWorks to issue a COBRA application packet to the family member's home address.
- The COBRA application packet will contain information about medical, dental, vision, and/or EAP continuation options.
Enrollment in COBRA
Once you receive the COBRA application packet, you must return the Application for COBRA Continuation form to WageWorks by the Application Due Date as specified in the packet or you will forfeit your COBRA rights.
For more information regarding COBRA, please refer to UCNet.