Support for you and your family.
The Lactation Support Program (LSP) provides university affiliates (all undergraduate students, graduate students, professional students, medical residents & fellows, staff, faculty, and academic employees) and their partners with lactation consultations, support group meetings, and the use of hospital grade breastpumps located in over 50 lactation sites on the UC Davis campus and nearly 30 at UC Davis Health. Community members are able to attend our classes and support groups.
We aim to help you succeed in your lactation journey...start by downloading our Return to Work Guide for employees--laying out the steps from the moment you let your supervisor know you are expecting, to a successful return to the workplace while still maintaining your lactation goals.
When you register, you will be provided with site locations in the form of a PDF and google maps, on the immediate Thank You response page. Please save or bookmark this page as site locations are not public for health and safety reasons. Registration takes less than five minutes.
Lactation rooms can be accessed by completing the short registration process (yellow button above). Room locations/codes are not available to the general public for user health and safety reasons in addition to gaining the ability to establish communications with room users and gather metrics to determine and meet need. Visitors to UC Davis are welcome to utilize the sites for conferences/meetings, simply register identifying as a visitor when choosing affiliation.
For your convenience, check here for information and resources posted in the lactation rooms, including Room Etiquette and Lactation Accommodation Policies.
Note: Some lactation rooms have refrigerators inside the room. These fridges are NOT placed by the Lactation Support Program, and we are not responsible for them. We do not have any way to check that fridges are at the correct temperature or are a secure place to keep your milk. You may use these fridges at your own risk.
If you need a safe way to transport and store your milk, we have complimentary bottle/cooler bags available to program registrants. Studies indicate personal cooler bags are the best way to maintain the safety and quality of your milk. Please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a cooler bag.
Most rooms provide hospital-grade pumps. If you do not have a lactation room with a pump available within a 5-10 minute walk, please email to discuss what options you have (contact: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org). Read "Pump Kits" below to determine what type you need and instructions on use.
UC Davis: AMEDA pumps
- AMEDA Pump Kits: Available for purchase at the Guest Services Counter in the UCD Bookstore (left hand side as soon as you walk in the entrance on East Quad). The cost is $59.99. Kits may also be purchased online or attained through your healthcare insurance provider:
- Instructional videos: Ameda Platinum Pump & How to Assemble the Hygienikit
- Sandy Batchelor, WorkLife Manager, email@example.com
UC Davis Health, Sacramento: MEDELA pumps
- Medela kits may be purchased online of through your healthcare insurance provider.
- Link to kit: https://www.amazon.com/Breast-Medela-Symphony-Double-Pumping/dp/B000C13SXI?th=1
- Note: As of July 21, 2023, the UCDMC Gift Shop has closed. At this time, please purchase kits and parts from the above link. We are working on an interim plan to sell these parts in the hospital.
- T3 Pump Part Cart - There is no worse feeling than forgetting a part at home when you need to pump at work. The Tower 3 Lactation Room "Pump Part Cart" has additional parts and pieces if you forget parts of your attachment kit. We ask that you make a small donation so we can keep this cart stocked for employee pumping "emergencies". All donations to the WorkLife Program Support Fund goes to stocking this cart.
- MEDELA Instructional videos: Medela Symphony pump & Breast Shield Sizing: How to Get the Best Fit
We welcome members of our community to utilize our Lactation Support Program classes and support groups free of charge. Community members do not have access to our Lactation Consultants for individual consultation appointments. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our listserv and learn more about the opportunities for community members. If you are visiting campus and would like access to the Lactation Rooms, please register for the program above as a visitor.